Monday 2 December 2013

What's For Tea?

In our household there's sometimes a discussion that starts late morning or early afternoon with the question, "what shall we have for tea?" 

(Tea by the way meaning evening meal).

I usually say, "I don't know, it depends what's in the fridge".

My wife on the other hand likes to know what it is she is going to look forward to.

She'll think of a dish that she'd like and then asks what's missing to make it. If we need one or two ingredients, she'll buy them.

I on the other hand prefer to freestyle and make do with what we've got. Where she sees an empty cupboard, I see three or four alternative dishes. As I am the one cooking in these situations, I prefer to go with the flow.  It's not that I don't plan. I do plan. I plan by putting in place a lot of ingredients in our weekly shop. The cupboard is always stocked with lots of flavour and base items.

I however am less likely to imagine a meal in advance. I will perhaps look in a recipe book for ideas if we're having guests. My wife will think of lots of alternatives.

What about you? Who are you most like?

Both personality types serve a purpose. To be able to envision a future and make it happen is a great trait for entrepreneurs. Let nothing get in the way, get what you want.

Equally, the ability to adapt, optimise and deliver based on limited resources (making sure there are the right ingredients in place) is a great trait needed by teams who are working to build businesses.

Both tendencies have their advantages. Put both together and you get a formidable team.

By the way, it's no coincidence that my wife comes from a sales background and that I come from an operations background.

Just don't ask me what we are having for tea. Trust me, it'll taste great.

No comments: