Sunday 24 July 2011

London Paris

I made good friends on my recent trip to Paris. We were a group of eight, thrown together by our willing to ride 250 miles (400km) from London to Paris in order to raise funds for The Big Issue Foundation.

It all came together beautifully on the morning of the third day's riding. We were heading across Normandy on a plateau with a tail wind, riding in a bunch, taking turns on the front. We were rolling smooth, and it felt amazing. Views across cornfields, sunshine, fresh air, fast smooth road, hardly any cars, working together with good humour and excitement. Paris was 90 miles away and we were cruising. Perfect.

I cycle regularly and so my legs were quite accustomed to longer distance riding. I take my hat off to those on the ride who do not ride as regularly. In the 140 participants, at least 100 I would say were just everyday folk who decided that this is a good cause that deserves their support.  If I felt a little tired (and happy) to arrive at the Eiffel Tower, they were even more so. It's amazing what they did. Truly. Together we raised over £200,000 for The Big Issue Foundation - important funds to help our homeless get back on their feet and back into society.

So, thank you Alman, Sean, Wyn, Mike, Will, Tomas and our guide Barrie for good memories and sharing the journey.

And thank you to over 50 generous friends and colleagues who supported the cause and helped me to raise over £2000 In sponsorship. Thank you.
If you would like to support The Bug Issue Foundation, you can still sponsor me. All donations count.

No comments: