Thursday 19 May 2011

How To Be Number One In Google

At last!  After 10 years of trying, I can now say I am number one in Google.

No, I am not some boiler-room SEO sales guy.   Yes, I do have an ego.

Search for "David Norris" and you get me as number one.  Well, you do if you are me, today, from the UK.  Who knows if this is a Google A/B test.



Joking aside, this is a clear sign that Google are taking on Facebook and building a social strategy.  What better incentive to get people to complete their Google profiles than to provoke their ego.  "Want to be number one in Google for your name search?  Get your profile up to date".

I noticed this because I was checking Google Analytics for the traffic to my Google blog (Blogger) and saw a spike in traffic yesterday.  I looked at the source and keywords used and saw a large number of searches for my name delivering traffic.

I did the name search and saw the screenshot above with my name number one with my Google profile with an "edit" button. (Of course! Because I have a Gmail account).   As I use Picasa and Google Contacts, my profile is starting to become very integrated.

It's clear, Google are in battle.  Let the games commence!

3 comments:

Iain said...

Is this not because you were logged into Google at the time?

If, say, you had used a different browser and done the same search, maybe you would not have been top?

My Google search today has you at 10th. I've noticed that if I'm logged in Google will give a higher preference to sites that I have saved as bookmarks.

David Norris said...

Iain, you may well be right.

My spike in traffic on my blog for name searches I realise is probably due to the fact that a David Norris will go on trial for the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

Time will tell

Jethro Steer said...

David - if you want any tips on how to get to numbers one to ten on Google then you could do worse than ask my parents for some advice on choosing an unusual name for children.

With virtually no online profile of note, I'm all over Google!

If only I had that coverage and was called 'Rare Ferrari' I'd be a rich man.